You represent yourself and will produce your own paperwork and negotiate your own settlement.
This is the right model when you have the time to figure out the right paperwork.
An attorney “of record” represents you, having formally substituted into the case and stands as a representative between you and both the court and the opposing party or counsel. The attorney and their staff will handle your paperwork and negotiations.
Representation has the following benefits:
- Opposing counsel and party must go through your Attorney rather than approach you directly. If they are hostile, confusing or hard to understand, you have someone on your side, negotiating and communicating on your behalf.
- The attorney speaks to the court on your behalf.
- The attorney is responsible for your paperwork and procedure.
- We assign a lead attorney and an associate, so you can rapidly reach a team member who knows both you and your circumstances.
- If the parties cannot negotiate a settlement, you can seek a final ruling from the court.
- The team can obtain and manage experts necessary for your case.
- Limited Scope Representation is available to manage your budget. In this case, you only have an attorney handle a specific part or step in your case.
This is the right model when trust is low, conflict is high, safety is a concern and the ability to be mature in the face of the stress of separation is difficult. A budget can be tailored to your specific needs.
Representation is available for all practice areas at McCunn Law.
Whether you are self-representing or mediating, you will still need to complete the paperwork required by the court. Every year this paperwork appears to be getting lengthier and more complex! Often this paperwork can be completed quickly, but can appear difficult, hard to comprehend or complex to the untrained eye. Mistakes in the paperwork can have harmful effect or force re-drafting. Hiring a trained person to complete the paper work can reduce your stress, save you time and allow you to focus on the critical issues and decisions that you need to make, secure in the comfort that the paper work is done and filed correctly.
This is the right model where your time is limited and you want the documents done right. The cost is driven by the document to be drafted and the efficient providing of the necessary inputs to the document drafter.
Document Services is available for practice areas and in cases of Family Law, Decedent Estates, Incapacity, and Minors. (not available in Estate Planning)